Back? Laughed until you've cried? Good! There was recently a challenge put out to fellow bloggers to dig deep into our boards on Pinterest and find one that we've been meaning to attempt but haven't yet. Without further ado let us join:
|We begin with the shirt and a pillow, so far so good|
|According to the tutorial I should be able to button the shirt around the pillow, pin around the edges, sew , and voila...yeah, this is where you could say things started going a little haywire and I decided to make up my own way.|
|It was much simpler to simply cut a square the right size out of the front and back.|
|Place them wrong sides together and pin all the way around|
|Sew all the way around|
|Unbutton and flip so that the right sides are out|
|Stuff the pillow form inside and voila!|
|As an added bonus, if you choose a plaid shirt there are all sorts of lines to help you line the sides up!|
|Unfortunately that's not something I thought about until afterwards so my pieces weren't cut from identical stripe to identical stripe.|
|But there you have it, front...|
This really is a super easy project to make, all in all it took me less than an hour even with the complete mess up at the beginning as I tried to follow the tutorial. (To be fair there was a video attached to the tutorial that I did not watch as I felt it was more important to be watching Arrested Development while making the pillow...)
Don't forget to head on over the The Pintester Movement to see what other bloggers have tried and succeeded/failed at, you never know what sort of time it might save you! I'd love to hear what projects have been sitting on your pin boards forever and what's been preventing you from tackling them!
Button Up Pillow
1 button up shirt
1 pillow form
- Unbutton the shirt and lay as flat as possible, if you want to cut off the sleeves and up the sides that may help although I was able to do it without the extra steps if you just want to get it done.
- Cut a square from the back of the shirt that is 1/2" bigger than the pillow form you have. (i.e. I used a 16" sq pillow so my squares were 16.5"x16.5".)
- Button the shirt up and using your back square as reference cut a front square. Make sure you take into account where buttons and the pocket, if there is one, will end up.
- Place your two squares together so that the wrong sides face out and pin all the way around.
- Sew all the way around approximately 1/4" from the edge.
- Unbutton the buttons and flip the shirt so that it is right-side-out.
- Stuff the pillow form inside taking care that the corners line up and are filled out.
- Button the buttons and immediately place it on your favorite seat so that the admiration may begin!
Thanks for reading and happy crafting!