Tuesday, June 4, 2013

May In Review

I thought I'd try something a little different today.  As this blog was created with the intent of staying in touch with family and friends on the East Coast after The Husband and I moved to the West Coast in October I have decided that perhaps the content should occasionally span things other than foods and crafts, just a thought.  And so, I am now promising to do my best to provide a monthly recap so as to actually fulfill the intent of The Geeky Loft.  Without further ado, I present to you, May!



 May got off to a fantastic start with a trip back to Virginia for a friend's Wedding Reception.  While there were no pictures taken there as I was far too jet lagged and, um, crazy(?), The Husband and I were able to go to our favorite restaurant in DC with one of my old roommates.  If you haven't had a chance to check out St. Arnolds, do it!  There really isn't much better than a meal of mussels and Belgian beer.  After spending some time catching up with friends in Northern Virginia we drove to Charlottesville where we were able to spend Mother's day with my mom and siblings which was fantastic and relaxing although next time I fly across country I will be making sure I am there for more than 72 hours...


How many of you know that Norway's Independence Day is May 17th?  No?  I didn't until this last month.  As Ballard has a rich history of Norwegian immigrants and culture there of course had to be a parade.  Aside from the plethora of small children riding unicycles (Is this a new fad everywhere or just here?) there were tons of people dressed up in the traditional garb as well as the viking ship you see above.  I was taken aback by the sheer number of people who came out and supported the parade.  Being surrounded by people so passionate about their country's culture was a unique experience I never expected to find within the United States but one that I am very excited to learn more about and made me proud to be in a city which celebrated it's people's history.


A while ago The Husband and I instituted a new idea for our date nights wherein every other week we eat dinner in and find something as close to free as possible for the evenings entertainment.  We were lucky enough to stumble upon Geeks Who Drink at The Ballard Loft which was an absolute blast and involved questions ranging from 60's pop icons, to sports figures, to potential movie mash-ups and everything in between.  This was the first time I had ever been to a trivia night and so arrived with a fair bit of apprehension.  Once we got going though it was an absolute blast which I highly recommend if you're looking for something a little different to occupy an evening.


As you can see we spent some time with an intruder in our living room.  Both The Husband and I grew up camping and have been anxiously looking forward to doing some of our own soon but between the two of us the only camping gear we had were sleeping bags and a flashlight that worked some of the time.  We finally got around to ordering the essentials and of course had to celebrate by setting the tent up immediately.  Fun fact, we pulled our air mattress out and slept in the tent that night with the door to our balcony open so that it would feel/sound like we were outside.  I am pleased to report that so far the tent has fared well and we are looking forward to putting it to use in the wild shortly!

There you have it, what The Husband and I were up to in May.  I hope you enjoyed this small retreat from the normal content and come back next Tuesday for a regularly scheduled craft/recipe!  (I haven't decided which yet, if you have a preference let me know!)

What was your favorite part of May?

No comments:

Post a Comment