To get this recipe started off right we need some maple syrup. Did you know that it's incredibly easy to make that yourself? Let's begin!
|Combine brown sugar, water, butter, and a dash of salt.|
|Once it's been boiling for a little big add maple extract and voila, that's it!|
|I think we've got enough maple syrup for many pancakes, waffles, and popsicles to come.|
|To get on with the popsicles combine maple syrup, orange juice, bourbon, and bitters.|
|Pour into your popsicle molds, freeze, and enjoy!|
Maple Syrup Recipe:
1 1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 C water
1 T butter
dash of salt
1/2 tsp maple flavor
- Mix brown sugar, water, butter, and salt in a saucepan.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in maple flavor
Tips & Tricks:
- If you don't have maple flavor on hand vanilla extract will also work with minimal difference in taste.
- Be sure that your mixture has completely come to a boil, not a simmer, to ensure everything is combined well.
Maple Brown Derby Popsicle Recipe:
1 1/4 C orange juice
1/4 C maple syrup
1/2 oz bourbon
3 dashes bitters
- Whisk all ingredients together and pour into your popsicle molds.
Tips & Tricks:
- Traditionally this should be done with grapefruit juice which I did not have on hand as neither The Husband or I like it, orange juice worked just fine.
- I found that mine had a strong bourbon flavor whereas The Husband really enjoyed his. In the future I may mix in the bourbon individually to create stronger and weaker popsicles.
- The amounts listed here will make enough for 2-4 popsicles.