Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Occasionally Healthy?...

What do you do when you have a sudden desire for something sweet but know that you really should do something not quite as decadent as you'd like?  For me that usually means I half a recipe or perhaps add some chocolate chips to what is already in store.  Other times it simply means a batch of Oatmeal Chocolate Chips is in my near future.  Something about combining oatmeal, nuts, and chocolate chips makes the end result seem like it's not quite the indulgence that it could be.  Granted the butter and sugar probably negate the health aspects, but I prefer not to focus on that point.

When all of this is combined magic happens!
Cream the butter and sugars together
This is where you first have an opportunity to burn some calories thus earning yourself the lick of the spoon at the end :)
The eggs, vanilla, and milk help to make your job a tad easier
This is the time to make sure all the butter has been thoroughly creamed.  If for some reason chunks of it have gotten to this stage you'll want to mix them in thoroughly before adding the dry ingredients.  Trust me, it only gets more difficult!
A glorious sight as everything begins to come together
I think I'll just stare at this picture for a while and pretend it's freshly fallen snow, the kind of thing I haven't seen yet this year...ahem.
Nuts, chocolate chips, and oats are added.  This may also be the point at which you realize it's been so long since you've made a full batch you've forgotten just how large a bowl you need.  Make a mental note to use a bigger one for next time.  Laugh at your current predicament and carry on.
Now would be a good time to reward yourself for all the heavy stirring you've done with a finger swipe around the edge of the bowl.
Once placed on cookie sheets all set to bake and be eaten!
I love using the recipes I grew up with so I have to attribute this one to my mom although I have no idea where it originated from.  It is delicious and we'll just pretend it's a long standing family recipe. :)

Recipe:
1 C (2 sticks) butter - softened
1 1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
2 T milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 C oats
12 oz (2 C) chocolate chips
1 C nuts

  • Preheat the oven to 375
  • Beat butter and sugars until creamy
  • Add eggs, milk, and vanilla beating well
  • Add combined flour, baking soda, and salt (this is where my method of sifting it in becomes helpful)
  • Mix well
  • Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and nuts
  • Mix well 
  • Drop by rounded T onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart
  • Bake 9-10 minutes
  • Makes about 5 dozen
Tips & Tricks:
  • I've tried a couple of times making these in my kitchen-aid rather than by hand and have never had them come out correctly.  If you manage this please let me know!
  • Because they don't bake for long it's doubly important that you switch up the cookie sheets halfway through - alternating which rack they're on and which cookies are on the right/left sides if your oven heats unevenly (and let's face it, do they even make ovens that heat evenly? I'm inclined to think not)
  • Have fun using substitutions for the oats, chocolate chips, and nuts.  These could be really good with some butterscotch, peanut butter, or white chocolate chips thrown in!
Thanks for reading and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment